Frequently Asked Questions

Who is Safe Electric?

Safe Electric is responsible for the regulation of the activities of electrical contractors in the Republic of Ireland with respect to safety. Safe Electric holds a register of all Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs), and ensures that all RECs are operating to the relevant national standards and technical rules. This includes inspecting their work on an ongoing basis and carrying out disciplinary actions where necessary.

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) has appointed the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) to operate the Safe Electric Scheme on behalf of the CER.

The responsibilities of Safe Electric with respect to safety are outlined in detail in the Criteria Document.

What is the Criteria Document?

The Criteria Document sets out the detailed rules, procedures and requirements in relation to the regulatory system for electrical safety. This document is published by the CER and is particularly relevant to Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs) and Safe Electric. RECs must agree to be bound to the Criteria Document in order to be registered.

From time to time the CER may make changes to the Criteria Document.

Who is the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI)?

RECI was appointed by the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) as the Electrical Safety Supervisory Body (ESSB). RECI will operate the Safe Electric Scheme on a not-for-profit basis for a seven year period 2016-2022.

What is the Electrical Safety Supervisory Body (ESSB)?

The ESSB is appointed by the CER and it is responsible for running the Safe Electric Scheme. For the designation period 2016-2022, the CER has appointed RECI as the single ESSB. The principal functions of the ESSB include, without limitation, the registration of electrical contractors and, the inspection, auditing and monitoring of electrical contractors and their work and activities with respect to safety.

Who is the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER)?

The CER was established in 1999 and it is Ireland’s independent energy and water regulator. Since then its powers and functions have expanded and it now has a wide range of economic, customer protection and safety responsibilities in energy. RECI operates the Safe Electric scheme on behalf of the CER. If you wish to find more information about the CER please click here to visit the CER website.

What is the CER’s role in the regulation of the electrical contracting industry?

The CER has statutory responsibility for the regulation of the activities of electrical contractors in the Republic of Ireland with respect to safety. The CER has appointed RECI (operating as Safe Electric) as the Electrical Safety Supervisory Body (ESSB) to act as the regulatory body for electrical contractors and to complete the day-to-day activities in this area. The CER remains responsible for policy decisions regarding electrical safety and the operation of the regulatory scheme.

The CER also undertakes investigations where unregistered electrical contractors may have completed electrical work in a domestic setting. These instances can be reported by filling out the report illegal electrical works form.

What is a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC)?

Why hire a REC? / Benefits of using a REC

Only Registered Electrical Contractors give confidence to consumers that they are using a contractor who is competent, insured and subject to inspection to ensure their work is undertaken to the required standards.

How to find a REC

Visit ‘Find a REC’ on the Safe Electric website to search for a REC in your area.

How do I make a complaint about a REC’s work?

If you wish to make a complaint about the standard of the work carried out by a REC please fill out the electrical installation complaint form. Your complaint will be investigated by Safe Electric and may result in the disciplinary of the REC concerned. Please note that Safe Electric deals only with complaints related to technical standards and safety. You can find a list of common non-valid complaints here.

How do I report illegal electrical works?

If you suspect that an individual is carrying out illegal electrical works, i.e. Restricted Electrical Works without being registered with Safe Electric, or is falsely portraying oneself as a REC, you can report that by filling out the report illegal electrical works form. This will be investigated by the CER.

What is a completion certificate?

Customers should always ask for a completion certificate for all electrical works completed in their home immediately after completion. The REC will issue the original white copy of the completion certificate to the customer. A copy of the certificate will also be issued to Safe Electric. Only the REC’s named Qualified Certifier (QC) can certify electrical works on behalf of the REC. It is through this certification system that Safe Electric, can monitor and validate that the electrical works completed meet the required safety standards. For more information on completion certificates click here.

What is a Notice of Potential Hazard (NoHz)?

Situations may arise where a REC carrying out installation works observes a potential hazard. A REC has a duty of care to inform the electricity consumer of any immediate or potential hazard identified, by issuing a Notice of Potential Hazard (NoHz). Find more information about the NoHz here.

How do I change contractor?

An application to change electrical contractor is required where the installing contractor is not available to complete and/or certify a new installation. To apply for a change of contractor please fill out the change of contractor form. A number of eligibility criteria have to be met for your application to be approved. Please note that a minimum charge of €250 will apply for a Change of Contractor Inspection. You can find more information on the change of contractor here.