A Bright Idea
Safe Electric, the statutory regulatory scheme for electrical contractors is operated by Safe Energy Ireland on behalf of the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU).
Safe Energy Ireland was recently appointed as Safety Supervisory Body by the CRU and will operate under the CRU’s Safe Electric brand for the duration of their appointment, 2023 – 2028.
RECI was previously appointed Safety Supervisory Body from 2016 – 2022.
Switched On to Standards
It is the role of Safe Electric to ensure that all Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs) are operating to the relevant national standards and technical rules. This includes inspecting their work on an ongoing basis and carrying out disciplinary actions where necessary. Safe Electric hold a register of all registered contractors.
Safe Electric is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the scheme.
Switched On to Safety
The Electrical Regulatory Safety Scheme ensures that all electrical installations in the Republic of Ireland are carried out by competent electrical contractors.
That’s why you should only use a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) and always get a Completion Certificate.
To find a Safe Electric registered contractor in your area click here.
The Power Behind Electrical Safety
The CRU is responsible for:
- policy decisions regarding electrical safety
- the overall operation of the Safe Electric regulatory scheme
- enforcement action including prosecutions against unregistered electrical contractors
- review of appeals from applicants regarding registration decisions by Safe Electric
- review of appeals from complainants regarding complaint handling by Safe Electric
To find out more about who we are and what we do, please visit www.cru.ie